Remote places ...

There are nine standing lookout buildings in Glacier today, seven of them still reachable by maintained trail.  The most remote and little-used of those trails leads to Loneman Lookout, overlooking the park's wild Nyack country.  It's a trail that even today, may go weeks without seeing a hiker.

As a college kid working in the park, I became more and more intrigued by the idea of making it to Loneman, and I finally tackled it solo back in 1982.  It was a grueling 14-mile roundtrip up a bear-infested mountain, with unmarked trails and two river crossings and not another soul for miles ... and all of those things made the hike and the destination all the better.  I loved it up there.

I've visited Loneman a few times since then, both alone and with others. This is a photo a friend took of me on the Loneman catwalk in 1983:


The lookout, built in 1930, had been unused for a few years at that point.  The park staffed it again for a decade or so in the early 2000s, but closed it down again after the 2018 season.  It's a great vantage point, though, and if they let me take my dogs I'd love to spend a summer up there.

Comments

Popular Posts